Sunday, November 9, 2008

Semi-Activisim

In honor of National Adoption Awareness month I participated in a walk yesterday. It was kind of lame though because Gabe had to work and I didn't know anyone and felt ultra introverted. Basically we just met and meandered around the park wearing orange. There really didn't seem to be a lot of energy in the group. I decided that next time I'm an activist their needs to be chanting or picketing of some kind. I mean really! I thought the Falun Dafa crowd that was meditating near by exhibited more passion than us. Anyhow, they had free burritos so we could refuel after our athletic little saunter, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

Speaking of adoption, a friend of mine from high school adopted a little girl on Friday. They had been planning for the adoption for nearly the entire pregnancy. When it came time for the birth mother to deliver they drove up from Texas. I guess the birth mother started to have doubts at the hospital. They were really nervous that she wouldn't sign and so they gathered the whole family together to go to the LDS temple. When they got out of the temple there was a message on their phone saying the birth mother had signed the papers and the baby was ready to be picked up. I was so happy to hear their news that I literally cried knowing the anxiety and joy they must have felt during the experience. I have such a deep respect for the maturity and love that it takes for a birth mother to make this difficult choice for her child. Although I've never met Persephone's birth mom, I pray for her constantly and feel incredibly grateful that she has given us the opportunity to be parents.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

Congratulations to your friends...there is absolutely NOTHING in the world better than having a newborn to love and cherish.